Agreement of ‘Terms and Conditions of Service’
This agreement was written in English (UK). To the extent any translated version of this agreement conflicts with the English version, the English version controls. While we realise the vast majority of users will behave responsibly and sensibly, the following legal terms and conditions are for those that decide otherwise.
Date of Last Revision: 1 March, 2016
Code of Conduct
1. Our Goal
Our focus is to provide a professional and positive environment which allows all international community members to collaborate and work together in support of each others ideas, to create a better world for all.
The benefits of adopting a unified approach to the global challenges that we face, is that it allows us to unite our numbers, resources, energy and enthusiasm to more effectively achieve the shared goals of the international community.
All are welcome as valued members of this community.
We are totally inclusive – regardless of race, religion, gender, dress style, taste in music or favourite pizza topping. While we adopt an inclusive approach, we also implement a few essential standards and safeguards to help ensure a positive and supportive environment for all members.
A community based on global unity and cooperation needs to maintain professional standards in order to be effective. We have therefore established a few important rules to aid and support all members.
Members are expected to maintain a professional level of respect and courtesy towards others at all times.
Direct or personal criticism towards any member on this site is NOT acceptable. Such behaviour is simply not conducive to a ‘positive and supportive’ environment. As Gran used to say, “If you’ve got nothing nice to say to others, then it’s better to say nothing at all.”
Due to our own personality style and unique psychological understanding, we will not always agree with the viewpoints or opinions of others. Even so, disagreeing with someone’s viewpoint does not give anyone the right to be demeaning, abusive or aggressive towards another member on this site. Such behaviour is NOT acceptable.
4. Site Content
This site has been designed to encourage global humanitarian and scientific collaboration towards a set of shared goals which can benefit all people. Each member has their own profile for individual content, relative to their membership level.
Any content – profile pictures, photos, videos, audio, articles, etc – posted on this site must adhere to professional standards and the overall goals of the community. Any content (deemed inappropriate, indecent, or offensive in its nature) is NOT acceptable.
This site was not designed for members to post pictures of their cat or holiday snaps at the beach. If that is your focus, there is another site for that kind of content – Facebook. Our focus is more ‘social networking with a humanitarian purpose’. Please keep any content that you post relevant to the global humanitarian goals of the Organisation.
Inspirational wisdom, quotes or similar motivational material is always welcome.
Any person that uses their account to spam other members with unwelcome links will have their account immediately disabled or deleted. If this happens to you, please use the ‘Cancel Friendship’ button to remove your link to the offending account and report the user’s details.
These standards are here to support and protect all members in this global community. Please ensure that you respect these standards at all times.
- While your privacy is important to us, in the modern era of government data access, computer hacking, security agency spying, etc – we simply cannot guarantee that your data will ever be private from outside influence. For this reason, you accept that any account or public data that you post on this website becomes ‘public domain’ data which the IHO has no direct or indirect legal responsibility for, or requirement to keep private. Having stated that, in accordance with EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), we acknowledge your right to full access and control over your own personal data. You are always free to request that this data be provided to you and/or to have it removed from this site. We also agree not to submit any emails or notifications to you without your prior consent.
- You will not post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on the IHO website.
- You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on the IHO website.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
- You will not post content that: is hate speech, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not use the IHO website to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of the IHO website, such as a denial of service attack or interference with page rendering or other Facebook functionality.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Statement or our policies.
- You will not collect users’ content or information, or otherwise access the IHO website, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our prior permission.
- You will not create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
- You will not create more than one personal account.
- If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
- You will not share your password, let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
- If you select a username or similar identifier for your account, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it infringes any individual legal rights or laws – such as a trademark or copyright law – or if the name is deemed by the IHO as being inappropriate or offensive in any way.
- If anyone brings a claim against the IHO related to your actions, content or information on the IHO website, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim. This includes any type of agreement or transaction (financial or otherwise) between you and other members on the site.
- Although we provide rules for user conduct, we do not control or direct users’ actions on the IHO website and are not responsible for the content or information users transmit or share on the IHO website. We are not responsible for any offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable content or information you may encounter on the IHO website. We are not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any user of the IHO website.
- We try to provide this service bug-free, and safe, but you use it at your own risk. This site and its member services is provided on an AS IS basis. The IHO is not responsible for any misuse, perceived or otherwise, on behalf of any of its registered members. Each member accepts that they are fully responsible for their own decisions, words and actions in relation to what they do on this site, and accepts the full legal repercussions of their actions. We are providing this service AS IS without any express or implied warranties including, but not limited to, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. We do not guarantee that the IHO website will always be safe, secure or error-free or that the IHO website will always function without disruptions, delays or imperfections. The IHO is not responsible for the actions, content, information, or data of third parties, and you release us from all claims and damages, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with any claim you have against any such third parties. We will not be liable to you for any lost profits or other consequential, special, indirect, or incidental damages arising out of or in connection with this statement.
When you publish any content on this site, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, licensed right to exercise any and all copyright, trademark, publicity, and database rights (but no other rights) you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. You accept full responsibility (financial and otherwise) for any content which you submit which infringes public or commercial copyright law.
You acknowledge and agree that: (1) we only act as a portal for the online publication of User content. We have the right (but not the obligation) to take any action deemed appropriate by us with respect to your User content; (2) we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any content, whether or not the content was actually made available on the Website; and (3) any and all content submitted to the Website is subject to our approval. We may reject, approve or modify your User content at our sole discretion.
Information on the Website may contain general information about legal, financial, health and other matters. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on the Website as an alternative to professional advice. If you have specific questions about any matter you should consult your professional adviser.
We provide unmonitored access to third party content, including User feedback and articles with original content and opinions (or links to such third party content). We only act as a portal and have no liability based on, or related to, third party content on the Website, whether arising under the laws of copyright or other intellectual property, defamation, libel, privacy, obscenity, or any other legal discipline.
The Website may contain links to other third party websites. We do not control the websites to which we link from the Website. We do not endorse the content, products, services, practices, policies or performance of the websites we link to from the Website. Use of third party content, links to third party content and/or websites is at your risk.
Protecting Member’s Rights
We respect each person’s rights and expect all IHO members to do the same.
- You will not post content or take any action on the IHO website that infringes or violates someone else’s rights or otherwise violates the law.
- We can remove any content or information that you post on the IHO website if we believe that it violates this Agreement, the rights of a member, or any of our principles and policies.
- If you collect information from users, you will first obtain their consent. You will also make it clear that you (and not the IHO) is responsible for collecting their information, and explain to the user/s why you are collecting their information and how you will use it.
- We’ll notify you before we make changes to these terms and give you the opportunity to review and comment on the revised terms before continuing to use our Services.
- Your continued use of the IHO website, following notice of the changes to our terms, policies or guidelines, constitutes your acceptance of our amended terms, policies or guidelines.
Termination of Account
- If you violate the letter or spirit of this Agreement, or otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us, we can stop providing access of the IHO website to you. We will notify you by email or you may also delete your account.
- By “IHO” or “IHO website” we mean that which represents the IHO Organisation as a whole, or this website respectively.
How cookies work:
Cookies are small files that are downloaded onto your computer (or your mobile phone) from websites that you visit. Cookies contain information that allow websites to recognise that you have used the site before.